Welcome to Burlington

Burlington's history reaches back to 1640 when, as a northwest corner of the Town of Woburn, it was a portion of a grant known as Charlestown Village. Since it was originally a part of Woburn, much of Burlington's early history has been written into the history of that city. In 1730 it was incorporated as the Second Precinct of Woburn. This northwesterly corner of Woburn, sometimes known as Shawshine, decided to have a meetinghouse of its own, and in 1732, the Burlington Meetinghouse was built. Before 1800, this section was a most important part of Woburn when that community was an agricultural one and farming the principal occupation of the people. Burlington was incorporated as a separate Town on February 28, 1799.

Some of the city's top choices for visitors include:

The Burlington Mall
75 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington, MA 01803
781-272-8667
The Burlington Mall is an upscale center anchored by Filene's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Sears. Burlington Mall features more than 155 specialty shops and a 775-seat Food Court. Visit one of the exclusive shops in Burlington Mall to look and feel your best!

Town Hall
29 Center St, Burlington, MA 01803
781-270-1600
Burlington's first Town Hall was built in 1844. It was located on a hill in Simonds Park. In 1879, the building was expanded to include rooms for public offices, a post office, library and dining room. An entry dated May 30, 1902 in the Town Record Book simply states: "Town Hall burned this morning at 9:30." The current Town Hall is the third and was built in 1969 and renovated in 1999.