Horsham Information

Horsham, Pennsylvania, known as Horsham Township, is a small town—only about 17.5 square miles in size—which is home to about 15,000 inhabitants. It is located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It is named for Horsham County in southern England. Horsham Township has had home rule government since 1975, thus making it independent from the Pennsylvania Township Code. It is most well known for housing the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove, which closed permanently in September of 2011.

Horsham Township is the recipient of many awards, including the #15 spot on Money Magazine's coveted list of the 100 Best Places to Live in the United States.

Horsham is a carefully designed community. It's layout, which was designed by the famed William Penn, contains a grid of streets, each a mile and a half apart.

Horsham exists today because of the Air Station. In 1926, American aviation pioneer and engineer Harold Frederick Pitcairn, built a hangar and a crude grass runway in what is now Horsham. Though there were a few residents in the area at the time, the township was relatively unknown until Pitcairn began to use his makeshift airport to test aircrafts which would later be used by the U.S. Postal Service. After the U.S. entered the Second World War, the United States Government bought the land from Pitcairn and created a training base for U.S. Military Aviation activities including those of the Naval Guard, Army National Guard, and Air Force Reserve.

There are a number of fun activities to enjoy in Horsham. One of the most beloved locations in Horsham is historic Graeme Park. This 42-acre stretch of land not only contains beautiful plants and trees, but also the Keith House, which was Sir William Keith's summer home built in 1722. Keith was the lieutenant governor of both Deleware and Pennsylvania in the early 1700's. The mansion, which remains virtually unchanged, is open to the public for tours on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Another popular tourist spot is Horsham Friends Meeting, which is a Quaker meeting house in the historic part of town. The meeting house hosts a monthly gathering. It has been a recognized historic landmark on the National Register of Historic Places since 1991.