Lombard Information

Lombard "The Lilac Village", is a suburb of Chicago in DuPage County, Illinois in the Lombard-Oakbrook-Villa Park-Elmhurst (LOVE) area. In the mid-1830's, early settlers were attracted to Babcock's Grove, (as Lombard was called at the time) by rich farmland; more settlers came when the railroad route westward from Chicago followed the St. Charles Road Trail. A tour of the historic downtown area, within walking distance of the commuter train depot, highlights the significant heritage earlier residents left to contemporary Lombard: the historic Lilacia Park, Lombard Historical Museum, Helen M. Plum Memorial Library as well as the Maple Street Chapel, a historic landmark in the spired Gothic style built as the original First Church of Lombard in 1870.

Some of the village's top choices for visitors include:

Dr. William LeRoy House
119 N. Main Street, Lombard, IL
Built in 1881 by Dr. William LeRoy, with an Italianate architectural style, the LeRoy house was home to one of the area's most prominent doctors. Dr. LeRoy specialized in making artificial limbs for civil war veterans and lived in this house until 1900. The house would eventually become the home of Harold Gray's parents and the studio of Harold Gray, the originator of Little Orphan Annie cartoon strip. Harold Gray used the home's study to work on the Annie cartoons until he remarried and moved to the east coast.

Sheldon Peck Homestead
355 E. Parkside Avenue, Lombard, IL 60148
630-629-1885
Recognized as the oldest house in Lombard, the Sheldon Peck house was constructed in what was once Babcock's Grove around 1839. The farmhouse, which stands on the comer of Parkside and Grace in Lombard, was home to the Peck family, the first school in the area, a stop on the Underground Railroad, and a place of business for Sheldon Peck, a portraitist from the mid-nineteenth century. This house was home to descendants of the Peck family until 1995 when it was donated to the Lombard Historical Society. The Society restored this house to the 1840 to 1860 time period. It is open as a museum on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. and by appointment. Tours of the house and educational programs are available.